We support clients in achieving legal requirements for water safety, including the HSE Approved Code of Practice ACoP (L8) for the Control of Legionella Bacteria in Water Systems and the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH).
Our highly experienced and qualified specialists provide a market leading service offering the assurances of compliance with legislation and regulations, coupled with technical support to help maintain your waterside conditions leading to extended longevity.
Potential Risk Areas
With an estimated 250 cases of Legionnaires’ disease in the UK each year, and approximately 18 per cent of these resulting in fatalities, SOCOTEC’s water safety and hygiene services team offers companies an assurance that they are compliant with L8 regulations and that any water hygiene risks are minimised. Systems at risk include:
- Water systems incorporating a cooling tower
- Water systems incorporating an evaporative condenser
- Hot and cold water distribution systems
- Other plant and equipment containing water which is likely to exceed 20°C and which can release a spray or aerosol during operation or maintenance
- Read more about water systems at risk
Water System Treatment Services:
- Water Hygiene and Legionella Risk Assessment
- Chemical and microbiological sampling and analysis
- for Legionella, TVCs, e.coli and coliforms in our UKAS accredited laboratories
- Ongoing Monitoring Programmes
- including scheduled visual inspections, temperature checks, monitoring and sampling of water systems
- Cleaning and chlorination of tanks and outlets, plus remedial works.
- Cooling tower and steam boiler analysis and treatment programmes including chemicals
- Closed system management in accordance with BG50 and BS8552
- Drinking/process water management
- Swimming pool and spa sampling and analysis
- Cooling tower and tank refurbishments
- Calorifier inspection/cleaning
- Water treatment equipment installation
- Electronic Management System and web-based electronic log books to effectively manage systems and monitor control activities
- TMV inspection and servicing
- RPZ valve installation and servicing
- CPD approved training courses for water safety compliance
View our Water Treatment Equipment and Products
Consultancy and Professional Advice
SOCOTEC has over 100 years of technical experience within its consultancy business and can ensure you exhibit best practice compliance within your particular systems. Consultancy services include providing a compliance audit to review existing policies and procedures along with advice and expert guidance on the development of policies and management systems (HSG274 Part 2). An appointed expert can provide retained support for clients with the Legionella management programme. Enforcement liaison is also available.