Identifying Unknown Materials
SOCOTEC has established itself as a leading specialist in successfully examining and identifying unknown materials such as solids, solvents, deposits, oils and dusts. We provide key information for failure investigations, manufacturing issues and Health & Safety concerns within a wide range of industry sectors.
Our rapid identification methods allow you the peace of mind that contaminants will be classified swiftly, reducing process disruption.
Our testing services are frequently used in the following industries:
- Foreign objects in foods/medical products
- Unknown residues on surfaces
- Machinery problems/failures
- Unknown polymers
- Unknown material deliveries
- Unknown deposits in landfill
- Unknown materials/dusts
- Unknown deposits in fuels/oils/coolants
- Premature failure of fuel/oil filters
Our expert scientists carry out a full client consultation before designing a personalised testing suite to identify your unknown material. SOCOTEC employs a diverse range of selective techniques to characterise the sample, including:
- Optical Microscopy – initial identification
- GC/MS – Gas Chromatography with Mass Spectrometry
- FTIR – Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy
- SEM/EDX – Scanning Electron Microscopy with Energy Dispersive X-ray analysis
After determining the overall composition of the sample, our scientists document a full interpretive report with conclusions.
SOCOTEC Investment in Bretby Laboratories
SOCOTEC Introduces New Environmental Swabbing Method for COVID-19 Detection
SOCOTEC Successfully Delivers Multi-Project Ground Risk Management Following Five-Year Collaboration with CMDP
SOCOTEC Expands its Coating Testing Services by Achieving New Industry Accreditation
SOCOTEC’s Environmental Chemistry Team to Support Delegates at Brownfield Land Scotland 2020