Marine Sediment Testing
SOCOTEC provides comprehensive marine monitoring support to a wide range of clients, helping to ensure their engineering projects have minimal impact on the environment.
SOCOTEC has established a long-standing reputation for technical expertise in marine sediment testing. The company’s robust extraction and analytical procedures have been developed specifically for complex marine samples.
The SOCOTEC Marine Laboratory offers UKAS accredited tests* for the following analyses:
- Total Organic Carbon (TOC)
- Trace/Heavy Metals
- Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs)
- Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
- Organochlorine Pesticides (OCPs)
* A listing of SOCOTEC’s UKAS accredited activities can be found in our schedules of accreditation – Testing Laboratories 1252
In addition to UKAS accreditation, SOCOTEC has over a decade of proven performance in the Quality Assurance for Marine Environmental Monitoring (QUASIMEME) scheme. These qualifications provide assurance of the technical competence of SOCOTEC’s testing laboratory to undertake a comprehensive array of analyses.
The technical expertise at the SOCOTEC Marine Laboratory allows us to provide technical support to clients working in multiple marine project area, including but not limited to:
- Geochemical analysis for oil and gas exploration (micro/macro seep analysis)
- Environmental Baseline Survey (EBS) for renewables, interconnectors and pipeline construction projects
- Pre/post drill and cuttings piles surveys
- Dredging disposal applications
- Aggregates surveys
The SOCOTEC Marine Sediment analytical services are approved by all UK and Ireland regulators for dredging disposal applications, with all results conforming to Marine Management Organisation (MMO), Marine Scotland, Natural Resource Wales (NRW), Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA - Northern Ireland) and Marine Institute (Republic of Ireland Regulations).
In addition to the above, we can also support your marine project by providing the following tests:
- Total Organic Carbons (TOC/FOC)
- PAHs - Alkyl Homologues and Dibenzthiophenes (DTI 2 – 6 Ring Compounds)
- Total Petroleum Hydrocarbons (TPH)
- Alkanes, Total Oils, Pristane, Phytane
- Hydrocarbon Content by Total Scanning Fluorescence (TSF)
- Advanced clean-up techniques
- Full interpretations (weathering, levels of degradation, GC/MS identifications)
- Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDEs)
- Alklyphenols and Exthoxylates Groups (APES)
- Perfluorooctanesulfonate (PFOS) and Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA)
- Particle Size Analysis (PSA) and Sediment Density
- Microplastics (number/type/weight)
SOCOTEC also offers specialist analytical services for watch list and emerging contaminants.
Fast Turnaround Times
SOCOTEC understands the importance of receiving your laboratory results in the quickest possible time and therefore we offer streamlined analysis processes and fast turnaround times.
SOCOTEC to Attend Letsrecycle Live
SOCOTEC Investment in Bretby Laboratories
SOCOTEC Introduces New Environmental Swabbing Method for COVID-19 Detection
SOCOTEC Successfully Delivers Multi-Project Ground Risk Management Following Five-Year Collaboration with CMDP
SOCOTEC Expands its Coating Testing Services by Achieving New Industry Accreditation