We can provide a complete service from materials sampling and analysis through to the preparation and presentation of expert reports.
A powerful combination of in-house expertise and industry standard investigation techniques enable us to provide the following structural surveying methods:
With many of these, a state of the art Scanning Electron Microscopy with EDX provides a powerful tool used by our materials engineers to examine:
- Fractured components for surface features
- Cause of failure and the presence of defects
- Coatings, materials and corrosion indicators
- Identification of fibres
- Comparison of materials
- Defects in components
- Qualitative and semi-quantitative analysis of particles and contaminants
Our structural testing and assessment services cover the following materials:
Brickwork and Masonry
Full surveys and testing of brickwork, masonry and mortar are provided to ascertain cause of movement and failure, cracking, delaminations and spalling.
- Metal Structures
- Full surveys and testing of metal structures using a variety of techniques including:
- In situ metallography
- In situ microscopy
- Crack determination
- Strain gauging/proof loading
- Measurement of residual metal thickness
- Corrosion testing
Paints and Coatings
As experts in paints and coatings consultancy and analysis, SOCOTEC operates from accredited laboratories, using modern accelerated weathering equipment and performing natural weathering site trials, as well as performing testing and analysis throughout the UK.
To ensure the water tight operation of a number of materials, SOCOTEC provides holiday testing of, for example, waterproof membranes.