We are able to provide sampling teams, problem solving and radioactivity consultancy support to a wide variety of customers.
Our clients include government agencies, water companies, nuclear decommissioning contractors and environmental consultancies.
Typical Samples Analysed
- Terrestrial and marine environmental samples
- Drinking water, crops and food
- Samples from decommissioning of nuclear facilities
- Contaminated land
- HSE approved bioassay service
- Nuclear fingerprinting
Measurement of alpha, beta and gamma emitting radionuclides:
- Gross alpha and gross beta screening
- High resolution gamma ray spectrometry
- Specific beta emitting radionuclides: 3H, 14C, 35S, 32P and 99Tc
- Naturally occurring radionuclides such as thorium and uranium with their associated daughter products 210Pb, 210Po, 226Ra and 228Raanthropogenic radionuclides such as 232U, 236U, 237Np, 238Pu, 239/240Pu, 241Pu, 242Pu, 241Am, 242Cm, 243/244Cm
- Multiple detector alpha and beta proportional counters
- Suite of high resolution gamma ray spectrometers (with automatic or robotic sample changers)
- Multiple detector solid state alpha spectrometers
- Low background ‘Quantalus’ liquid scintillation counters
- ICP-Mass Spectrometers
Bioassay work at the laboratory is approved under the Ionising Radiation Regulations of the Health & Safety Executive.
For further information on SOCOTEC's services to the nuclear industry, please contact us.