In several countries, the application of chlorine is usual practice but chlorination can cause the formation of hazardous by-products, such as carcinogenic trihalomethane (THM) in food. Because of this, Ozone is deemed as the suitable alternative with 'generally regarded as safe' (GRAS) status. It does not leave toxic residues and is also capable of destroying all bacteria, algae and biofilms with no risk of resistance, build up, or immunity, making Ozone an ideal choice for direct food and drink applications.
SOCOTEC’s wide range of Ozone generators and our in-house technical ability mean that we can design and manufacture the correct equipment to suit your application, for the use on process/CIP water or in-air disinfection/odour control. We offer:
- Stainless steel cabinetry, vessels and skids
- High efficiency, low energy ozone generators
- Range of outputs and alarms for your monitoring system
- Remote monitoring and control
- PID control
- Residual monitoring
- PLC driven
- Self diagnosis
- In house design consultation
- Service agreement
Cleansing Fruit and Vegetables Using Ozone
General practice for cleansing fresh fruits and vegetables consists of washing in ozonated water, and the wash water is recaptured and treated by filtration and ozonation. The treated wash water is free of bacteria, colour and suspended solids and can be recycled to reduce water usage. Unlike conventional Chlorine-based washing systems, wastewater discharged by the ozonation process is free of chemical residuals, a growing concern related to the environment and groundwater pollution.
Sanitising Foods and Preventing Bacteria Gaseous
Ozone is a strong sanitisation and fumigation agent, which can be used to sanitise foods in the storage room and during shipping to prevent bacteria, mould and yeast on the food surface and to control insects. It can eliminate undesirable flavour produced by bacteria and chemically remove ethylene gas to slow down the ripening process, allowing extended distribution.
Disinfecting Bottled Water
Previously considered an effective disinfectant for food products, Ozone is now commonly used in the disinfection of bottled drinking water too. As well as being particularly soluble in water, it is also effective in killing microorganisms through oxidisation of their cell membranes. Ozone has a unique property of auto-decomposition, meaning it won't leave behind any toxic remains. This feature gives bottling plants the opportunity to disinfect drinking water and extend shelf life, without chemically adding to the process water.
Other Applications for Ozone Include:
- CIP (Cleaning in place) means that higher ozone concentrations are used to sanitise pipework rather than pasteurising the system. As an efficient biofilm remover, Ozone is dispersed from the process lines which considerably reduces down-time during CIP.
- Iron and Manganese removal from process water: The oxidisation of the Iron and Manganese allows filtration to remove the Iron and Manganese with ease. Therefore reducing turbidity and increasing palitability
Remote monitoring provides a simple solution for performance monitoring and optimising proactive maintenance, by gathering time stamped data centrally. The user can view and monitor current sensor readings against system parameters and set up email alerts to nominated addresses.
Data is transmitted via a 3G data sim card meaning that network connection is not required to the buildings internal systems and therefore does not compromising server security.
Benefits of remote monitoring include:
- Internet based remote access
- Access from any web enabled device, such as PC, tablet or smartphone
- Data logging
- Real time graphs and historical data
- Alarm notification emails
- Remote troubleshooting by an SOCOTEC technician (SOCOTEC monitoring contract required)
Want to find out more about Ozone and discuss your specific needs?
SOCOTEC’s highly experienced experts offer a flexible approach and individually designed solutions.